Friday, June 27, 2014

Video: IDF send in the dogs to find kidnapped teens



From Jerusalem Post:

WATCH: IDF, man's best friend set out in search for kidnapped teens

By JPOST.COM STAFF
06/27/2014

The Israel Defense Forces are sparing no means to ascertain the whereabouts of the three teenagers who were kidnapped earlier this month in Gush Etzion. 

 One of the tools at the army's disposal is man's best friend, specifically specially trained search dogs deployed by the elite Oketz Unit, one of the more well-known outfits in the IDF. The IDF Spokesperson's Unit released a clip on Thursday showing soldiers from Oketz and their four-legged comrades combing parts of Judea and Samaria in search for the boys – Eyal Yifrah, Naftali Frenkel, and Gil-Ad Shaer.

Oketz specializes in training and handling dogs for military applications. Originally, Oketz trained dogs to attack kidnappers, but training has since become more specialized, and now each dog is trained in a particular specialty....

Much more here. 

Added from the Israel Dence Forces FaceBook page today:

“Dear Racheli, Bat-Galim and Iris,

It wasn’t long ago that I was 16 years old. Today I am 19. Last weekend, as usual, I had the chance to spend Shabbat at home. As usual, I ate dinner around a beautiful table. I saw my family and friends, and I read and played football. Just like every week.

It was just like every week, except that last Shabbat wasn’t normal. It was bitter and sad because your sons, our brothers, couldn’t be with their families and friends. Eyal, Gilad and Naftali weren’t sitting around a beautiful dinner table. They didn’t have the chance to pray in synagogue. They couldn’t read or play football.

I wish that the world could hear this. I wish that the World Cup weren’t the media’s main focus. I wish that I could open my computer from anywhere in the world and see these events. Parents in Israel shudder when they hear this story, thinking "What if it were my son?" Teenagers tremble with fear, saying "It could have been me."

We’re looking everywhere for your sons, and we’re determined to find them.

Eyal, Gilad, Naftali – the entire nation is praying for your return. The whole army is working to bring you home. We will do everything so that your mothers can hold you in their arms again.

Sincerely,

Corporal Noemie”

No comments: