Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Am a Veteran, NOT a Victim

In the last while, I have discovered another great blog written by an American Veteran. He's a Combat Medic, too! The title above comes from one of his recent posts, and every civilian needs to read it:

May 17, 2012

You know, I don't know what is worse about being a Veteran, the idea that people pity me, or that they fear me. Neither is appropriate, and yet I get both, sometimes from the same person when I admit to being a Veteran. I can deal with being thanked, its awkward, because I really don't think I've done anything more than any EMT, Fireman or Policeman, but even with my usual flippant reply "Don't thank me thank my recruiter", I always make sure to leave the citizen with the impression that it is appreciated.

But how am I supposed to respond to questions about Post Traumatic Stress? PTSD has become so much of a catch phrase that the VA and AMEDD are actually thinking of changing the terminology. Doesn't matter what they call it, I saw friends, in some cases good friends, killed, or wounded. It wasn't like a John Wayne movie where they clutch their gut and fall over. It was more graphic, more painful to watch, and more gut wrenching to keep my whits and treat them. This is usually the point that someone will say "I could never do that". Yes you could. I did it, so can you....



This IS a MUST READ here.

Yes, I have added his site to my blogroll and suggest that YOU make a point of checking in with him often.

No comments: