Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It’s Christmastime in Mazar-e-Sharif

From Edmonton Journal:

Traditions of the season mean so much more when you’re missing them, far from home

By Sgt. Bryan Crowston, edmontonjournal.com December 11, 2011
















The Canadian contingent in Mazar-e-Sharif wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season.

Photograph by: Photo by Cpl John Suchan, edmontonjournal.com


MAZAR-E-SHARIF, AFGHANISTAN - In one way, being here in northern Afghanistan at this time of year is a little like being at home in Canada — the weather reminds me a lot of southwestern Ontario. It’s cold, damp and you just can’t seem to keep warm, no matter what you wear.

It doesn’t seem to have dampened the Christmas spirit in the camp, though; I have already seen decorations going up on buildings, with the Canadian areas looking particularly festive thanks to some hard work from the Canadian “elves.” I haven’t heard any Christmas carols yet, but I’m sure that as we get closer to the day they will start to make an appearance.

Being overseas for the holidays will be a new experience for me. Every other tour I have done here has had me home in lots of time for the holidays. Being away from home at Christmas really makes you start to think about what is most important during this season. You think about all of those things you would be doing at home to get ready, which are now either greatly scaled back or might not happen at all because I am in Afghanistan....

No comments: