Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Corporal Andrew Wardle: '...acts of exemplary courage..."

Corporal Andrew Wardle extracted wounded child from a fire-fight

27 September 2010

Corporal Andrew Wardle, 22, of the Yorkshire Regiment, who risked his life to give first aid to a wounded Afghan child during a fire-fight is to receive the Military Cross for his courage against the Taliban.

Corporal Andrew Wardle, The Yorkshire RegimentAndrew dashed across 50 yards of open ground to rescue the ten year-old child who had a severe gun-shot wound to the back. He was lying in the open ground in full view of the enemy positions. Acting on impulse, raced across, picked up the child, and returned to safety to give first aid.

Speaking about the incident, Andrew said: “At first I didn’t realise it was happening. Then I just saw the child out of the corner of my eye. The Taliban had started firing towards it.

“Then I didn’t really think twice, because it was a child. So, I ran out and then ran back. It all happens so fast –you get a bit of tunnel vision – you just go for it.

“I’m glad I was there, really, to get him out.” ...


There is a video interview, and the rest of the this great story, here.

No comments: