Tuesday, December 22, 2009

"Christmas in Kandahar: A soldier's thoughts"

From The Torch:

Sunday, December 20, 2009

"Christmas in Kandahar: A soldier's thoughts"

Pity this sort of piece doesn't get wider play:
Cpl. James Dalton, 21, of the Canadian Scottish Regiment [Princess Mary's] in Victoria, was deployed to Afghanistan on Thanksgiving weekend. He's been writing monthly dispatches from the Canadian Forces base at Kandahar. This is his fourth column.

Cpl. James Dalton, 20, of the Canadian Scottish Regiment in Victoria will be deployed to Afghanistan next weekend. He will be writing monthly dispatches from the Canadian Forces base at Kandahar.

Last week, I went on a foot patrol through a built-up urban area of Kandahar with some Americans and Afghan police forces. This being my first patrol on foot, I was slightly edgy and careful of every step I took. Every bush I walked by I thought could potentially be a spot where someone could put a bomb.

After walking for about 10 minutes, I started to relax a little. Kids come up to you constantly to say hello in hopes that maybe you have something to give them. Two boys asked me if I had money, chocolate or candy. I shook my head and held out my hand to show them I didn't have any, but they still grabbed it and went through each one of my fingers to make sure....


And yes, there is more here.

H/T The Thunder Run.

No comments: