Sunday, October 12, 2008

Amy Galvez Is Off To Boot Camp - UPDATE!


Remember this post?


Amy Galvez is a Gold Star Mother. Like so many Gold Star Mothers, she honours her son - Adam - by serving and supporting troops still fighting on. My friend CJ sent me the following email about her latest project:

Amy Galvez Is Off To Boot Camp

Comes this UPDATE FROM CJ:


Mission Complete: Marine Corp Boot Camp

Not too long ago, I posted about Amy Galvez going to Boot Camp to raise money for the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund. I also asked for your assistance in helping her meet her goal to raise $7,500 ($500 per team member). After posting that story, you helped raise an immediate $500 and I thankyou that. Here’s an update straight from Amy now that they’ve have completed the challenge.

injured marine semper fi fund

We had the best time at the Marine Recruit Depot. Before we started, the Drill Instructors gave us directions on how to properly respond when spoken to by a Drill Instructor. While waiting for our group to begin the race General Salinas was speaking to the crowd then said, “I understand we have a Gold Star Mother and a Gold Star Sister running today.” I hadn’t told anyone about that so that really surprised me.

The General called us up and let me speak to the crowd for a minute about Adam. That was a very special moment for me. That DI who had been yelling at us a few minutes before gave me a big hug in front of everyone. The event was exhausting but fun. The DI’s yelled at us the whole way. There were certain things, like jumping off an eight foot wall, that I would have thought twice about, but with a DI yelling at you, you just jump. We all loved it and will do it again next year for sure....

Go read the rest here!

SEMPER FI!

No comments: